Saturday, June 13, 2015

Babes in Toyland

As I previously wrote, I am dedicating an entry to each artist I saw live at Primavera Sound 2015.

After writing about Einstürzende Neubauten, today I am introducing you to Babes in Toyland.

This all-female American punk rock band formed in Minneapolis, Minnesota in 1987. The current line-up features original members:

  • Kat Bjelland (lead vocals and guitar)
  • Lori Barbero (drums)
  • And Maureen Hermann (bass), who in 1992 replaced Michelle Leon.

They have released so far three studio albums:


They disbanded in 2001 but reunited again in 2014. From then on, the band started to write new material and perform live.


I have been a fan of Babes in Toyland since I was a teenager. I was very happy when I learned they had got together and that they were coming to play live in Barcelona (Catalonia) on May 30th, 2015.

Though the gig had some sound issues due to Kat's guitar strings breaking, the band rocked and managed really well to bring back that raw energy from early 90's rock music. The set-list was amazing as well, featuring a great selection of songs.

Concluding on another note, the band members have stated clearly and several times already that Courtney Love was never a member of Babes in Toyland. In reality, Love had often "hung around" the band's practice space until she was asked to leave. The band was never part of the Riot Grrrl movement either since it was based in the Pacific Northwest.

No comments:

Post a Comment