Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Fractal Counter-Enlightenment

I wrote this on my blog not long ago:

... Since I am a person who is in a constant search of self-improvement, I find very useful to read the following Twitter accounts, which deal with mindfulness, breathing, meditation, personal development, and positive thinking: Louise Hay, Simon Boylan, Judith Orloff, Eric Barker, Learning Mind, and Fractal Enlightenment...

READ: Birthday

Fractal Enlightenment is a community that seeks to achieve a unique and thought-provoking perspective to alter our programmed thinking. 
I used to read at least one of their articles almost daily. I had found a lot of knowledge, advice and comfort in them. I had recommended them and shared their work countless times. They had been a great source of inspiration and personal growth.

However, that changed three days ago when they published this.

What do you think? Is it a good choice that Fractal Enlightenment quotes Adolf Hitler?

Since I have had no response from them yet, I think it is time I wrote my opinion.


Was there any need to quote him? This man was the leader of Germany's Nazi Party, a dictator that caused the outbreak of World War II in Europe. He was responsible for the genocide of 6 millions Jews and millions of other victims (Gypsies, Slavs, handicapped, LGBT, and dissidents), who were considered subhumans. I will ask it again: was it really necessary to spread his word?


I am not going to censor anybody, since I believe in freedom of speech. Nonetheless, I believe that promoting tyrants, dictators or murderers – even if there are "positive" elements attached to them – is not a good choice. It sends a wrong message, which may be something like "oh, well, he was not that bad after all;" or "he was partly right." 
It is a big turnoff for people like me. Although I like to think that there is always some good attached to every human being, it is hard to see that when the person in question has committed so many atrocities. Indeed, many of us would love to prevent those atrocities from happening again. That is why we need to never forget the Holocaust. But we cannot get it wrong: any hint of glorification of its perpetrators is a huge mistake.

I do not care if Adolf Hitler ate a vegetarian diet, was against vivisection, had a dog, or a private library. Indeed, I have witnessed how neo-nazis try to recruit people into their cause by showing that "positive" side of him. But those facts do not make him a better person. And those facts do not render his causes valid at all. The millions of cruel deaths of innocent civilians were unfair and will never be repaired. The only thing we can do is prevent it from happening again. And a way to do that is not supporting anything related to the perpetrators of the Holocaust.

I get really sad when I read comments like "Adolf Hitler was right," or "The Arabs will finish Hitler's task against the Jews," since it makes me wonder if a tragedy like the Holocaust might happen again – G-d forbid! But I cannot help thinking that Fractal Enlightenment has contributed to that with this unfortunate choice. Certain people with bad intentions will likely use their post. And, therefore, I have to withdraw my support.

No comments:

Post a Comment