Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Pro-Choice

Manhole was a rap metal band from California, United States, that was formed in 1993. However, due to legal reasons, they had to change their name after releasing their first album "All Is Not Well" in 1996. Thus, the band was renamed after cult actress Tura Satana. They released their second album "Relief Through Release" in 1997 and split two years later.

 

The band leader was vocalist and lyricist Tairrie B. In 1990, she released a gangsta rap album, "The Power Of A Woman," featuring artists like Eazy-E, Everlast, Dr. Dre, and The D.O.C.
After Manhole/Tura Satana, she formed metal band My Ruin, which is still active today. She has also The LVRS, a spoken word project with My Ruin guitarist and husband Mick Murphy.

I love her work. Indeed, I realize while I am writing this that I had already included one of her early songs on another post.


Interestingly, Tairrie B will release her first hip-hop album in 25 years on August 14th, 2015. Of course, a post will be dedicated for the occasion.


Back to Manhole/Tura Satana, one of my favorite songs deals with the freedom of choice and its title is "Put Your Head Out:"

here comes a serious subject... pro choice 
the government is sayin' we got no voice 
fuck that cuz they can't control me 
or tell me what to do with my body 
and the same thing goes for my rappin' 
that's right i'm smackin a man 
who might try to hurt me 
equal rights on my jersey 
flirt in a mini skirt you won't see me 
i'm dressed down wearin dickies and a beanie 
on my head, puttin punks to bed 
who can't keep up 
dust some as then i sweep up 
flip, kick the switch 
and i'mma rip shit quick 
load the clip and i'mma grip shit tight 
fight the hype, stereotype, get the lead out 
put your head out! 

punk put your head out 
pro choice 
punk put your head out 

i'm inclined to use my mind cuz i'm intelligent 
but that don't mean the rest of my body 
is irrelivant 
down with the woman's action coailition 
w.a.c. has got my back 
and i'm strapped to deal with the fools 
when i gotta break rules 
cuz a woman's got a right to choose 
and a right to her own life first c
uz the real danger comes 
from a coat hanger 
and i dont wanna think about 
how many women have tried it 
died from it, cuz they couldn't hide from it 
now the men, once again 
wanna tell me why and when 
i can have an abortion- i said it 
that's what you heard 
not a four letter words 
written in red, i'll take the red out... 
then i'll put your fuckin head out 
cuz we won't go back! 

okay this is it now i'mma bust it 
the mic is mine when i touch it 
do this smooth and prove 
that a woman can move the crowd 
with a voice that's loud 
and i'm a pro-choice advocate 
you want my mic- go ahead grab for it 
"right to life"... 
a womans rights are on the line here 
that's why i'm here 
not one, one of a million the majority 
and the government ain't gonna be whoring me 

so i rock for choice, pay my dues 
cuz i'm a woman with a right to choose 
"and i'm gonna fight for my fuckin right!"

No comments:

Post a Comment