Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Einstürzende Neubauten

As I previously wrote, I am dedicating an entry to each artist I saw live at Primavera Sound 2015.

This one is about Einstürzende Neubauten, a band from Berlin (Germany) that has been active since 1980. The band's name can be translated as "collapsing new buildings". These "new buildings" refer to a style of architecture that started after World War II in Germany: large concrete box-style buildings.

Their trademark is the use of metal plates, electric drills, metal cutters, and circle saws; along with traditional musical instruments, they create a sound which is described as industrial.

They use a logo that consists of a human symbol with two arms, two legs (one much shorter than the other), a thin body, and a big round head with a circle in its middle.
It is an ancient Toltec petroglyph, whose meaning is undefined. It was discovered in a cave in central Mexico and is believed to be created between 700 and 1200 CE (Common -or Christian- Era).


I have always wanted to see Einstürzende Neubauten live since I had been told countless times that their live shows are great and unique. After attending their concert in Barcelona (Catalonia) on May 30th, 2015, I have to say that I was positively impressed.

Even though I had only listened to their early work (like the one featuring Lydia Lunch), I am discovering them little by little and liking them more. And I will be seeing them live again if I have the chance.

Blixa Bargeld, the band's leader, was a member of a band I know much more: Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds. There, he played guitar and did backing vocals from 1983 until 2003.

No comments:

Post a Comment