Saturday, May 9, 2015

Pomegranate

Lately, I have been finding myself craving pomegranate juice. Some of you will raise your eyebrows and say: "How does he dare? He is almost always drinking it."
Well, that is not a lie, but what I actually miss is the real homemade juice, and not the one you can easily buy at the store. Indeed, that one usually comes mixed with apple juice; and I am sorry, but the flavor is not the same.

My friends, we have to wait until September. That marks the beginning of the season - it lasts until February - in which we will have pomegranates available in any grocery in the Northern Hemisphere.


For those who are not familiar, as you can observe above, the pomegranate (whose botanical name is Punica granatum) is a berry, the size of between a lemon and a grapefruit, 5–12 cm in diameter with a rounded shape and thick, reddish skin.
The name pomegranate derives from Latin pōmum "apple" and grānātum "seeded".

The number of seeds in a pomegranate can vary from 200 to 1400 seeds, even though some of us will assert that there are exactly 613. In fact, I will talk about that when we are closer to Rosh Hashanah.

No comments:

Post a Comment